The end of our Route 66 trip is getting near. It was another hot day coming across the desert.
Just down the Road from our Motel in Seligman was the Grand Canyon Caverns. The first tour didn't start til 9am so it was a pleasant surprise that they had a cafe so we had breakfast.
The tourist atmosphere was kinda cheesy but hey what ever works.
Here is the elevator that takes you to the caves, 200 feet underground. If the elevator breaks down its 21 flights of stairs back to the top.
This is a dry cave which means there is nothing alive so there are no bugs or bats to worry about.
If you like you can rent this room for the night like a motel. The first 2 people cost $700 and each additional person after that is an additional $100. The room accommodates 6. There were two people still sleeping when we took our tour and one of them snored like a freight train. Seriously I thought this was a joke at first but the tour guide was really going on about how no one has ever still been asleep by the time the first tour started.
Snowball formation on the wall
The rooms in this cave are big. We only had 4 people on our tour including me. 5 if you count the guide. I like small groups.
These caves are also classified as a shelter and the government stores supplies in the caves. Food, water and some medical supplies. No cots or flashlights so bring your own.
Welcome to the town of Kingman, we stopped to see the old power house and train across the street.
They had Route 66 painted in the middle of the street so of course I stopped to take a picture. Good thing no cops were around.
This is the powerhouse now a visitor center and museum.
They had some O scale trains setup but they were not running. :(
Some European visitors (surprisingly the same people that were on the cavern tour with us) took our picture next to the train display.
Marie next to the Steam Engine.
The town of Oatman where Burros run free and are the main attraction.
The people really loved the burros and of course they loved the attention and I'm sure the food everyone was feeding them. These burros are FAT.
Or pregnant... probably fat.
This is the road out of town.
Home sweet home. I really didn't need the sign because you know your in CA when the freeways turn into race tracks. People doing 80 mph and 18 wheelers passing you at 75 mph.
And the fruit inspection station, I thought for sure they were going to have me open the trailer. I told them I just had an ice chest with water and I was quickly on my way. I think the Charger and having CA plates on the car helped.
Just before Essex is the Tree of Shoes
There are a pair of Route 66 Shields in Amboy. Gas is over $5 a gallon if you need it.
We made it to San Bernardino and the Wigwam Motel for the night. The curator said I was lucky he had not parked his car in front so I got a shot of the Charger in front.
Marie and I went to Cuca's (Mexican) for dinner. Food was really good but the restaurant was very loud because of Fathers Day.
Tomorrow we will make it to the Santa Monica Pier and then Hwy 1 heading home.
After 20 days on the road it will feel good to get back home.
Steve & Marie