Day 12 - 500+ Miles - Carthage MO to Amarillo TX
Its been along day and its 11:30pm at the time I'm typing this so I'm going to keep it short.
We stopped in Galena KS today to meet Ron Nutter chief cook and bottle washer of the Kan-O-Tex gas station. This station is home to the truck that was the inspiration of Tow Mater in the movie Cars.
He was nice enough to take our picture in front of "Tow Tater"
We stopped in Riverton to take some pics of the Brush Creek Bridge (Rainbow Bridge) the only remaining Marsh Arch Bridge on Route 66.
Of course we had to stop at the worlds largest Mc Donalds in Vinita OK
And Route 66 can't be complete without stopping to see the Blue Whale in Catoosa OK
We made it to the National Route 66 Museum in Elk City but we arived about 30 minutes after they closed for the day. We walked around and took some pics and hit the road.
We made it tot he Big Texan in Amarillo TX for dinner. There were 7 people trying to complete the 72 oz steak challenge but there were no winners.
Talk about a lot of food. I did not attempt the challenge but Marie and I shared a Rib Dinner.
It was really hot today (102) but we are holding up well. Tomorrow we will finish up Texas and head into New Mexico.
Steve & Marie







